Friday, March 14, 2008

The Sound of Freedom: Week 1

We've been here most of the week, and I'm beginning to get a grasp on a couple of the major routes around town. Don't get me wrong, I still have a map and the Garmin out and ready anytime I leave the apartment. I love GPS! Having the Garmin makes me remember how found my way around San Diego when we first moved there: I circled help wanted ads, wrote down addresses, plotted addresses on the map, decided which order the map dictated I visit them, wrote directions to each place in the most linear fashion...

Other than local roads and how to calm a frenzied parrot, I have learned that I've been spoiled by living in a house my whole life. Here, I need to take my trash to one of the two giant trash compactors on the premises. The closest one is 2/10 mile, round trip (and ours is one of the closest buildings). It's not about the walk; it's about walking 1/10 mile with my garbage!

The weather's been beautiful all week, but it's supposed to rain this weekend; our official welcome to the east. I think my favorite part so far is that we made it just in time for the break of spring. There are trees full of white blossoms and baby leaves, and there are golden daffodils everywhere!
We're getting settled in the apartment. It's comfortable and quiet, except for the Navy jets taking off from the nearby Naval Air Station. Apparently, Chris read my shock (at the noise) when the first one flew over Monday evening, and he cheerfully exclaimed, "That's the sound of freedom"!

Holly doesn't appear to be bothered by the Sound of Freedom. She watches the seagulls flying overhead, but it seems that jets aren't something a parrot needs to worry about. She likes to look out the window to inspect the resident mallard and plump red-breasted robins in the grass below, and she's very curious about the apartment. I carry her from room to room (there are only 2), so she can investigate her new surroundings. It's magical to watch her eyes brighten with curiosity. I'm convinced that cat owners beat parrot owners to the curiosity quote ("...killed the cat"). Parrots are intensely curious creatures!

No comments: